Frequently Asked Questions

Got a question? These should help.

Teachers are brought out strictly in accordance with PRC laws and regulations on a working Z-visa after their work permit application has been authorized and PU letter of invitation released.

Teachers are not required to be fluent in Chinese and will not be using Chinese in the classroom. Outside of the classroom, many people you meet will have a basic understanding of English, however you should make some effort to learn the language to get the most out of the experience.

Once you’ve returned all the required immigration documents we will translate them into Chinese, set up your online training and begin the notary, legalization and apostille process. Once that’s completed we submit the documents to the Foreign Experts Bureau to apply for your work permit.

From receiving the brochure to being in China can take as little as 5 weeks, it depends on how quickly we receive the necessary documents (including the ACRO police background check) and the required notarizations and legalizations that we undertake on your behalf for the work permit and Z-visa application, as well as your PU letter of invitation.

The cost of living in China is typically between 1/2 to 1/4 of that of the UK, but it varies from city to city. Everyday things such as groceries and certain items (computers, clothing, accessories) are cheaper, whereas imported items and foreign bars are more expensive. Living in Dongguan, for example, is around 49 per cent cheaper than living in Bristol.

To achieve the same standard of living that would require a salary of 22,000 GBP in London, necessitates earning around 80,000 RMB per year in China. The minimum teachers’ annual ‘take-home’ salary (excluding the value of rent and utilities bills) exceeds 86,000 RMB per year, and provides a standard of accommodation that would otherwise be out of reach.

Teachers are advised to be up to date on childhood and adulthood immunizations, as well as having Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B and Typhoid immunizations. We recommend you consult a medical professional at least one month before your planned departure date.

People entering China from the EU or UK must take a nucleic acid test and IgM antibody test within 48 hours of boarding their flight and submit the results to the Chinese embassy. Once they arrive they will have another test and undertake a limited quarantine period. We provide clear instructions to our teachers of the process involved and how to follow them correctly prior to departure.

Many of our teachers are fresh graduates who had no formal teaching experience before working with us. We provide a TEFL course for successful applicants that don’t already have a teaching qualification, so formal teaching experience is not a requirement, although some experience working with children would be helpful.

If you would like to work for us with friends or a partner we can arrange this for you and set you up together.

If you’re happy with the position and want to continue working then you can extend your contract via our contract renewal process.

Usually, yes. Because of how public holidays work in China there are occasions when returning from work after a public holiday requires working on a weekend.

During the contract you get roughly 3-7 weeks holiday. As a teacher, your holidays will follow the term time of your school.

Got a question not covered here?

Use the form below to ask us. We aim to respond to enquiries within 5 working days.